Saturday, May 12, 2012

Patriotism

Growing up in a military family is a unique experience.  So much changes and so little remains the same and yet in the middle of it all are the beautiful traditions that grow deep in the heart of a military child and foster a love for country and freedom.  

My sister recently took on the task of researching our family ancestry in the hopes of confirming the tale my dad has been telling us for many years - that our great, great, great, great, great grandfather (I hope I got the right number of "greats") George Belcher played a role in helping to establish independence by serving in the military  and supporting the cause during the Revolutionary War.  Once our lineage was confirmed, I filled out my application to the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and upon acceptance, I soon found myself once again surrounded by the many traditions that I remembered from my childhood.  

In a way, it feels a little like coming home after so many years.  

I am thankful every day for my dad, my husband, my many other relatives, and all military men and women who have given of themselves selflessly and willingly in the defense of our country and who have been willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to uphold the beliefs that our founding fathers first fought for.

May God mercifully watch over the men and women who serve our country, both at home and abroad and may he always give strength to the families they leave behind.  May we always remember the sacrifice and may we never take for granted the privileges we have been given.

The Welcoming Ceremony for New Members

Receiving my new member packet and DAR pin


Being sworn in


New members of the Thankful Hubbard Chapter, DAR


I was honored with the Outstanding Junior Member Award for Thankful Hubbard Chapter 
for 2011-2012



I have accepted the appointment to Conservation Committee Chair, and the Junior Membership Committee Chair for 2012-2014 and I am looking forward to being part of such an historic and patriotic society and amazing chapter!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said and I am proud of you and the other children of the military family because you too sacrificed having your Dad around all the time.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete